Ok, I realize it is not cold outside. I KNOW, it’s still summer! I am with you on this, trust me. But I was suddenly struck with a craving for hot chocolate and I was not about to wait for the dreaded winter that I still refuse to believe is just around the corner. This stuff is rich, creamy and chock full of antioxidants. You won’t even miss the dairy.
Makes 4 regular sized or 2 SUPER sized mugs
- 1/4 cup cacao powder or cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup raw organic cacao butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons raw or turbinado sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups almond or other nut milk (I used vanilla almond cashew)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
- 4 teaspoons full fat coconut milk
- Place first 4 ingredients in a medium saucepan over very low heat. Heat and stir continuously until cacao butter and sugar are completely melted.
- Slowly stir in nut milk and turn heat up to medium-low. Heat and stir just until chocolate mixture starts to steam. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract and salt.
- Pour into 4 regular or two large mugs. Top each with a teaspoon of full fat coconut milk for extra richness, if desired.
- Totally made this one up. I ordered the cacao butter and raw sugar online to make another recipe, but when I saw it on the counter today, nothing but hot chocolate would do. I didn’t see any other recipes that used cacao butter or raw sugar, most just use cocoa, coconut milk and maple syrup or Stevia, but I figured that would take away from the pure hot chocolate taste.
- This was very RICH and totally took care of my chocolate craving! Very chocolaty but not too sweet. You could add more milk if you want a less intense cup.
- This is the first thing I’ve done with my homemade almond milk other than to drink it or put it in coffee. I’m glad I did! I even got Dave to drink some (though I had to stir in the coconut milk so he wouldn’t freak out because it looked like MILK (don’t bother with logic )).